Coronavirus Update – Is Pink Eye Symptom of Coronavirus?
As COVID-19 is a moderately new disease and study correlated with it is yet undergoing, each day, a portion of the other new data about the infection comes up. As per the most recent analysis, suffering from pink eye or conjunctivitis can be one of the indications of coronavirus.
American Academy of Ophthalmology states that – the pink eye can be one of the signs of COVID-19, the disease that is caused by a coronavirus. Clinical specialists also accept that equivalent to a regular virus; coronavirus can likewise enter the eye and cause conjunctivitis or pink eye.
A study made in China and issued in JAMA Opthalmology, states that out of 38 patients with COVID-19, 12 had a pink eye (conjunctivitis).
This infection can spread if an individual experiencing a pink eye rubs his contaminated eye and touch some object. This object now gets contaminated by a virus. Later, when another person uses an object with a virus on it, transfers the virus to his eyes via hand.
How can you avoid contracting coronavirus through the eye?
- According to AAO, coronavirus spread via eye can be avoided by skipping the standard eye exam during this pandemic. At the same time, it additionally states that eye-related emergencies to be treated. Bounding contact between doctors and patients is core to help diminish the spread of the coronavirus.
- To avoid coronavirus to get into the eye, avoid touching the eye frequently. In the same context, switch from contact lenses to glasses to minimize the touching eyes.
- No matter how hard we try, it gets difficult to avoid touching eyes. We many times unknowingly touch our eyes. So it is essential to wash hands as often as possible for 20 seconds.
- Wearing glasses may add a layer of protection. Although they won’t provide complete protection from the virus- the virus can enter through sides- it still restricts it to some extent.
- Decrease your exposure i.e., maintain social distance from people who have conjunctivitis. Additionally, if you have an indication of the pink eye, remain at home and disconnect yourself, until appropriate analysis.
- Although AAO asks to skip a regular eye exam, they mention not to ignore significant eye problems. Visit opthalmologist under the situations discussed below –
- You have to take regular eye injections to treat macular degeneration or diabetic retinopathy.
- If you get your eye injured, visit eye doctor even if the injury seems small.
- If you notice a sudden loss of vision
- You have eye pain, headache, red eye, nausea & vomiting.
- You notice a lot of new floaters or flashes in your vision
If your situation is not mentioned in the list above and you think you have an eye emergency, give a call to nearby eye care center & ask them if you can visit the center for the treatment.